Tuesday, September 25

I will simply never be satisfied

Apparently all it takes to make me feel like I'm not doing enough with my life is a 2-hour chat session with Lena Dunham. The show was sold out when Mike told me about it; I had totally ruled out the option of going. SAVED by the ticket fairies - 4 of us were able to go! It was at the Largo here in LA, which is a venue that I now love on the same level as the Troubadour for its intimacy. She talked with Jeff Garlin from Curb Your Enthusiasm about life and work and the silliness of "Hollywood" and she was fucking awesome.

She's 26 years old and she was nominated for 4 Emmys. She writes, directs, and acts in Girls. She is literally a bottomless pool of creativity and that inspires me to do more. Maybe I'll write a script? Not  to "make it" in LA (lol) but just to prove to myself that I can do anything. I love writing and I certainly have a lot of inspiration on a daily basis. Even if no one reads it but me, I think I'd be happy to have it.

Part of the reason I loved last night was because the entire 2 hours were so truly intimate. I told Mike on the way home that it was like everyone already knew about her life so she didn't need to catch everyone up on the stupid small talk-type of details; instead it was like a conversation one might have with close friends: rambling and full of goofiness and comfortable opinions. I'm not sure who else Jeff Garlin is going to chat with for this occasional series he does, but I definitely plan on going back.

When we caught up with Lena after the show, she was just the sweetest, friendliest girl - it was a good night and it's always amazing to meet one of your heroes. And when she took this photo with us, she told us we got the added bonus of Ray from Girls in the background (added bonus indeeeed!)


I leave you with one song that I've listened to about 30 times in a row in the past 8 hours. They played it during the closing credits of Girls, but that has nothing to do with why I love it. It's just one of those perfect songs that makes you walk faster when you listen :D

No comments:

Post a Comment